Monday, July 18, 2011

Cruising Highway 1

Highway 1 along the California coast is considered one of the most beautiful stretches of road in the world. I would have to agree, although my main concern was not beauty today, but comfort. The GTI can be choppy on freeways and the seats have been problematic since I bought it a couple weeks ago. Thankfully, the car vindicated itself wonderfully on the road.

The seats remained comfortable for hours and even my wife thought the car was more pleasant than the Mazda 6, partially because of the seats, but also because of smoother and fewer shifts. In fact, you can cruise through most of Highway 1 in sixth gear, loping along at around 1800 rpm with reasonably good power and fantastic fuel economy. It's something I forgot a time or two when needing to pass. The car is so effortless to drive in any gear that you get lazy and forget to downshift occasionally.

The car gobbled up the 72 miles of incredibly twisty roads without complaint. It was the traffic in front that cramped my style.

Fuel Economy: 31.1 MPG
Trip Miles: 240
Total Miles: 801

No comments:

Post a Comment