Monday, June 20, 2011

The Waiting

I've done the research. I've wrangled the finances. I've even test driven the car and chosen the dealer. Now it's a waiting game. I'm waiting because I need to sell my current car, a hard to find 2005 Mazda 6 S Sportwagon with a manual transmission. It's turning out to be equally hard to sell. What's it worth? Who knows. Good luck finding one online to compare it. As I lower the price to attract buyers, the new car recedes in the distance, meaning I'll have to save for longer to get it. However, once the car is sold, the new car process will be moving very quickly.

I know what I want and it's only a matter of time. It will be a 2011 or 2012 (they're basically the same at my trim level) Volkswagen GTI.  We are probably six weeks from the 2012 model year, but I'm happy to take a 2011, since they're offering some special deals. If I were patient, as was my original plan, I would pick up a MKVI in July of 2013. My plans for patience were dashed when my wife's car was badly damaged and I started shopping early. Now I've got the bug.

I want four doors and a manual transmission. No packages. They're all too expensive and the four packages are not customizable enough. Plus the sunroof makes me feel claustrophobic and the Clarion navigation system is anemic. I would gladly pay for some a la carte options if they were available, like the steering wheel with controls, xenon headlights, or some 17" wheels, but the next step up in trim is a couple grand. Even the base model is pushing my budget, but any GTI is hardly a hardship.

Color? I'm somewhat ambivalent. I would jump on red if it were available (it's not). Black is easiest to get (the number one color according to the VW website). I'm a little tired of black. White is a bit harder but still possible.I've had two VWs in white before and I kind of want a break from that. If I have to order and wait: red. If I had to buy one now, probably white. Yes, white is growing on me.

I will be getting one perk, one extra option, an aftermarket head unit, navigation system, the Pioneer AVIC-X930BT. The system is a big toy, a way to make up for the fact that the GTI has fewer perks than the Mazda: no leather seats, climate control, or steering wheel controls. My brother is in the aftermarket car biz and has a guy.

So why the blog?  Two reasons. First, I won't stop talking about this car for ages after I buy it and this safely funnels that dialogue away from my other endeavors. Second, the InsideLine blog at Edmunds for the GTI was very helpful, mostly in just getting a feel for the car and I had wished there was more to read. I'll likely remedy that volume issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment